Lakers Gaming is looking for a new head coach.
Mathew Makovec served as the team’s GM and head coach during the 2019 season, in which the expansion team finished 3-13, in second last place. Under his watch, the team drafted 2018 fourth overall pick Mootyy and 2018 eighth overall pick KontruL in the 2018 expansion draft. He also swung a trade to acquire Vert from Warriors Gaming, exchanging the tenth overall pick in the 2019 entry draft for the Warriors’ 2018 leading scorer.
Lakers Gaming protected Mootyy and Vert after the season. Tied for the best lottery odds for the top overall selection in the 2020 entry draft, at 15%, the Lakers can fall no later than seventh in the league’s new entry draft format.
Makovec will remain involved with Lakers Gaming as GM in a “significantly involved” role.
@Jessica37690756 @josiahcohen13 @DIMER2K @LakersGaming @Mootyy2K @mattmako_ Matt will always be around, that’s the GM 😎
Position Summary: The Head Coach will be the primary point of contact for the Lakers Gaming players and key member of the NBA 2K league. This position will develop, implement and report on the team’s training, community engagement, competitive infrastructure and social sharing. The Head Coach will lead the scouting, draft process and development of the 2K players. You will work closely with all internal departments including corporate partnerships, marketing and community relations.
- Understanding and experience around NBA 2K, NBA 2K League, Esports and competitive gaming
- Conduct scouting and draft research for Lakers Gaming
- Coach players and conduct statistical analysis of performance to maximize team potential
- Create weekly player schedule inclusive of practice, tape review, scrimmages, travel and marketing obligations
- Handle travel logistics and travel with team to ensure all needs are met
- Schedule and arrange scrimmages with other 2K Teams
- Be a resource for players and mentor as needed
- Monitor player and league specific social media and streaming accounts
- Assist in creating gaming content for streaming and social media platforms
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities and deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in a diverse team
- Ability to work irregular work hours including nights, weekend, holidays
- Competitive gaming experience as either a player or coach
- Experience video game streamer preferred
- Coaching experience preferred
- Passionate about Esports, basketball and the Los Angeles community
- Experience creating gaming content for streaming and social media platforms
- Independent and ambitious with experience completing projects from inception to completion
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.