The NBA has listed an open position for a Gaming Director of NBA China.
It’s no secret that the NBA 2K League has plans to expand internationally, beyond the NBA’s 30 franchises. League Marketing Director Brendan Donohue has reiterated that international expansion is a matter of “when,” not “if.” This position is a start in that direction.
The job describes a key responsibility as being the development of all aspects of the NBA 2K League in China, including creating the very franchises themselves.
It’s an exciting step for the league, which steadily improved its broadcast growth throughout the season on Twitch and looks to expand in season two. The NBA 2K League’s 17 teams combined to create over 90 corporate partnerships, while the league and its teams combined for over 1.8 million followers across three major social media platforms.
Position Summary: As a member of NBA GP team, you need to focus on interactive entertainment, especially gaming and eSports industry.
In this role, you need to support GP/Gaming leadership, and oversee eSports business in China, including but not limited to NBA 2K League expansion in China, and eSports activities of all NBA-themed games.
- Communicate and align on eSports strategy for NBA in China, in solid plan with clear objectives and milestones
- Lead development of NBA 2K League in China, including broadcasting, commercializing, and creating franchise for NBA 2K League
- Lead eSports projects of all NBA-themed titles, and partner with local partners on its execution and delivery
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal teams, external partners, eSports teams, streaming platforms, production vendors and other eSports related stakeholders/clients
- Work with Marketing Partners teams and BD teams to commercialize eSports related resources
- Team working mindset is a must, with both internal (including global) cross team cooperation, and external collaboration with local partners
- Fully understanding of local gaming/eSports market, including business environment and user behavior, and strong capability of market research, analytic and reporting
- Able to organize thoughts and make decisions under time constraints and a full work load
- Full skillset of Office, especially PowerPoint
- Fluency in Mandarin and English
- Strong passion in video gaming and eSportsExperience needed
- Minimal 10-year experience in gaming/sports/interactive entertainment industry, experience in multinational company preferred
- Minimal 3-year experience in eSports related area
- Direct partnership with Tencent/NetEase is a plus
Education:– BS/BA degree- Overseas education background preferred